Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sticky (18) myIDcare (OPM)


Yes, I am one of those lucky people to get the OPM hacked love letter. But they gave me a service called myIDcare. The other day, I got a note from them.

Early Warning Service
This alert indicates that your Social Security number and personal information have been used to apply for a new credit card, open a credit card account, open a bank account, or make possible unauthorized changes to your bank account.

My "love letter" was back in December. It has been busy. I don't remember all the details. I didn't know if this was a phishing note and sure didn't want to pull a Seagate, (by way of @Brian Krebs: an employee fooled by a phishing note sent all current and past employee W-2s).
So I moused over the link, it was opm.myidcare.com and a case number unique to me. OK, this might be real. Using a safe browser, (firefox/noscript), I logged in.
It turned out to be nothing, I had made a change to a bank account and that triggered the alert, but hey, way better to be safe than sorry.

So why is myIDcare sticky? Think about it. Don't you feel a bit helpless in the face of all this cybercrime? I have a friend, smart guy, successful businessman, great sailor, who keeps a substantial amount of his wealth in various safes and safety deposit boxes. I think that is nuts, but he just tells me, otherwise money is just a bunch of numbers. I am not ready to go that far, but working in cybersecurity I read story after story. I am glad there is a service like myIDcare!

No comments:

Post a Comment