Just about everyone has a can of Water Displacement formulation number 40 around the house. I live a block from the beach in Hawaii and spray all the tools in my tool box a couple times a year. They still rust, but much slower.
The reason I think this is "sticky"(Simple/Unexpected/Concrete/Credible/Emotional)"
- Simple: Blue letters on a Yellow block. Shades of Boston Strong
- Unexpected: There had never been anything like this
- Concrete: Water Displacement, corrosion
- Credible: Stuff really works, that is why most guys have a can laying around, what is the first thing that comes to mind when a door lock is acting up?
- Emotional: They sent goodwill kits to the soldiers in Vietnam so their weaponry would continue to operate in adverse conditions at a time where many Americans were not supportive of our boys.
Here is their history page. Here are some uses of the product you probably never thought of, bet you are just dying to WD 40 the pole of your bird feeder, (squirrels hate the stuff).